Thursday, September 21, 2006

Little House In The Big Woods

My mom and I are reading Little House in the Big Woods. It is the true story of a woman named Laura Ingalls Wilder. She lived over 200 years ago. She wrote about her life as a farmer's daughter. The books tell what it was like to live a long time ago in America before there were things like TV, computers, even cars. Laura only got one piece of storebought candy every year usually. My Mom reminds me of how happy she and her family were even without a lot of stuff.

Little House in the Big Woods is the first book about Laura's life when she was a little girl.




Note from Mom:I'm really excited about delving into the Little House series with Caleb and the kids. I've read the books a couple of times myself and have always loved them. I even sat on the couch last night and completed The First Four Years, about Laura and Manly's experiences as newlyweds. My mouth waters when they talk about the food they ate. It was so simple and so tasty! But I wouldn't trade her hardships for my own. Although, I wonder if things are really that much different now as far as economic uncertainty. And the experiences of her unrelenting nausea and the difficulties she had doing housework during her pregnancies sure sounded familiar. :)

No comments: